Antibiotics and conventional medicine can help some people with sinusitis. But, and it’s a big BUT, most of the time, even as many as two out of every three bouts of sinusitis may resolve on it’s own, without any medical treatment. So what can you do on your own to relieve your discomfort? Is there a natural treatment for sinusitis?
- Humidify. Some people really find a benefit from using a humidifier in rooms where they spend a lot of time. Just make sure to follow the instructions for regular cleaning. If you use a dirty filter, you might be spraying mould into the air. If you have a room with wallpaper please forget the humidifier option.
- Breathe in steamy air. Stand under a shower or sit in the bathroom with the shower running and breathe deeply. The steamy air may help reduce congested nasal passages.
- Apply warm heat. Some people love a warm wet towel on their face (others hate it) so just give it a try.
- Nasal saline solution. While they don’t contain medicine, they can help keep your nasal passages moist.
- Flush out your sinuses. Nasal irrigation with salt water can clear out mucus and keep your sinuses moist. There are a number of ways to do it eg: bulb syringes and neti pots. Use previously boiled water to make up the irrigation solution. It’s also important to rinse the irrigation device after each use and leave open to air dry.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Rest. Try not to overdo it. Get plenty of sleep and give your body a chance to recover.
- Don’t overuse OTC medicines. Decongestants and painkillers can help up to a point. Just remember that overusing some of these medicines can actually make your symptoms worse.
- Euphorbium Nasal Spray. This is a homeopathic nasal spray that really works and is backed up by research. The dose is 2 sprays into each nostril three times a day or during really acute symptoms the spray can be used every half to one hour but not more than 12 times daily.
- See your Doctor. While home treatments are enough for many people with sinusitis, they won’t work in all cases. If you have severe acute sinus symptoms go see your doctor.
- Chronic and recurring sinusitis. See your natural therapist or homeopath.
A study about acute sinusitis was conducted to test the effectiveness and safety of Euphorbium Nasal Spray. The main findings were a significant decrease in the severity of the headache, secretion, itching, and fatigue symptoms. The tolerability of the nasal spray treatment was assessed as “good” or “very good” in 92% of the patients. There were no concerns regarding patient compliance, which was rated as very good or good in 90% of the patients. There were no side effects.
The use of homeopathic medicines is well established in Europe, especially France, the United Kingdom, and Germany. Euphorbium Nasal Spray is an ultra–low-dose combination medication produced according to the rules of the German Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia. The indications for using it include symptoms of rhinitis and sinusitis from various causes.
You can buy Euphorbium Nasal Spray from our clinic shop.
Research reference: Ghassan Andraos, MD. 2010. Nondrug Symptomatic Treatment of Rhinitis and Sinusitis Ultra–low-dose Nasal Spray Effectively Reduces Severity of Symptoms. Journal of Biomedical Therapy. 29 (4)2.
Some thirty years later, Jacqui herself is a practicing Homeopath, Naturopath, Medical Herbalist and Nutritionist and follows an integrated approach of Natural Medicine complimented by conventional medicine when necessary. The best of both worlds.
Jacqui’s clinical interests include general family health care (including pets), women’s health, stress related issues including anxiety & depression, and therapeutic support for immune related issues.
Jacqui understands the pressures of juggling a busy life and making well informed healthy food choices for the family. As a naturopathic nutritionist, she can help remove the guess work with simple suggestions that won’t break the bank or cause mutiny at the table. Often, all it takes is a little tweaking of food and lifestyle to achieve weight goals or improve the family’s health.
Jacqui views Homeopathy as the medicine for the 21st century. Homeopathy is able to re-balance the mind & body, improve vitality while stimulating the immune system and resolving both chronic health issues and short term acute symptoms. Dare to be Brave and take your health care to the next level.