In a recent study, garlic has been found to be far more effective than the antibiotics most commonly used to treat food poisoning by Champhylobacter. One of the active chemicals in garlic, diallyl sulphide, was shown to be a much stronger and faster acting antimicrobial than erythromycin and ciprofloxacin.
Champhylobacter is the most common food poisoning bacteria, especially from raw or undercooked poultry or from cross-contaminated via dirty surfaces and utensils. Previous studies have shown diallyl sulphide was also effective against other food-borne bugs, including Listeria monocytogenes and Escherichia coli O157.
So practically, what does this mean: garlic (diallyl suphide) shows promise as an alternative therapeutic agent for multidrug-resistant bacterial strains, and is effective as an antimicrobial for food preparation surfaces.
So, next time you have food poisoning (travellers or Aussie style), you know what to do. For around the home, garlic steeped in water for a few days and used in as a antimicrobial surface spray is the go, especially when everyone is coughing and sneezing.